Installing Your eBook - Apple i-devices
| Print |
Written by Self-Counsel Press
Thursday, 17 March 2011 21:18
Page 2 of 6
iPad, iPad2, iPod Touch, iPhone
These devices from Apple can all read EPUB format files.
You need a current version of iTunes installed on your computer and authorized to work with your Apple i-device. Buying and downloading directly to an iPad or other i-device online is not a good idea as Apple's security settings are likely to tell you something like, the server you are trying to download from does not have a valid certificate. Using iTunes as described below is the better method.
You also need the (free from the Apple App Store) iBooks application for reading, so be sure to download the iBooks application on the device you are using.
Installing your ebook
The illustrations below show an iPad used with iTunes; the screens are the same for the iPod Touch and the iPhone. Click on an image to enlarge it.
When you download your book in the EPUB format, make a note of where you save the file. The file name will be bookname.epub where “bookname” is the book title.
- Open iTunes
- At the top of the screen, look for the File menu item and click on it to open the menu. Look for Add File to Library... in the menu which opens and click on it.
- Use the dialog which opens to navigate to the location where you saved the EPUB file you downloaded and select the file.
- In the left column of iTunes is a list of media types. Look for the "Books" item and select it. All the ebooks you have added to iTunes are listed here. Look for the book you just added to iTunes in the previous step and make sure there is a check mark in the bok to the left of the book title (This tells iTunes the book is okay to sync onto any of your devices).
- Connect your iPad, iPod Touch, or iPhone to your computer with the USB cable.
- The device you connected will appear in the left column in iTunes, under the Devices heading. Click on the device name to select the device.
- At the top of the iTunes window you will see a list of tabs. Click on the Books tab.
- You should see your new EPUB book in the list of books. You can choose whether to sync all books in the list to your device, or you can select individual books to put on the device.
- Once you have made your selection, click on the Apply button and iTunes will sync your selection to your device.
- After iTunes completes the sync, check your iPad/iPod Touch/iPhone and your book(s) should appear on the iBooks bookshelf, ready for you to read.
The process sounds like a lot of steps. Once you have done it a few times it will feel simple!