Sony Readers use EPUB format files.
You will need to download and install (free) Adobe Digital Editions software if you do not already have it on your computer (described below), and you will need the USB cable to connect your Sony Reader to your computer.
Installing Adobe Digital Editions
- If you do not have Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on your computer (it is called Reader Library after it is installed), you need to download it.
- After you have downloaded the ADE install package, double-click it and follow the instructions to complete the install process.
- When ADE first opens, you have to “authorize” your computer with the software and this includes the need to create an Adobe account. Make a note of the email address and password you use to create the account.
- Next, if you have not done this already, your Sony Reader needs to be authorized to work with ADE, so connect your Sony Reader to your computer using the USB cable, then open the ADE Library menu and use the “Authorize Computer” option to authorize your Sony Reader, which will then appear as an icon in the left sidebar in ADE.
You need to complete the above steps once, to get the necessary software installed and authorized. After that, just follow the instructions below to add EPUB books to your Sony Reader.
Adding your book
- When you installed ADE, the software added a folder called “My Digital Editions” to your Windows “My Documents” folder.
- Drag your downloaded EPUB file from wherever you stored it on your computer to the “My Digital Editions” folder.
- Now you have everything ready. In Adobe Digital Editions, open the Library menu and choose the “Add Item to Library” option to make your new book visible in the right side window in ADE.
- Drag the book from the right side window to the Sony Reader device in the left sidebar.
- Before you pull the Sony Reader USB plug from your computer, first disconnect the Sony Reader using the “Safely Remove Hardware” button in the lower right taskbar in Windows (or turn off your computer).
Follow the steps under “Adding your book” above for future books.