Barnes & Noble Nook
The Nook eReader uses EPUB format files.
You will need to download and install (free) Adobe Digital Editions software if you do not already have it on your computer (described below), and you will need the USB cable to connect your Nook to your computer.
Installing Adobe Digital Editions
- If you do not have Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on your computer, you need to download it.
- After you have downloaded the ADE install package, double-click it and follow the instructions to complete the install process.
- When ADE first opens, you have to “authorize” your computer with the software and this includes the need to create an Adobe account. Make a note of the email address and password you use to create the account.
- Next, your Nook needs to be authorized to work with ADE, so connect your Nook to your computer using the USB cable, then open the ADE Library menu and use the “Authorize Computer” option to authorize your Nook, which will then appear as an icon in the left sidebar in ADE.
You need to complete the above steps once, to get the necessary software installed and authorized. After that, just follow the instructions below to add EPUB books to your Nook.
Adding your book
- When you installed ADE, the software added a folder called “My Digital Editions” to your Windows “My Documents” folder.
- Drag your downloaded EPUB file from wherever you stored after download to the “My Digital Editions” folder.
- Now you have everything ready. In Adobe Digital Editions, open the Library menu and choose the “Add Item to Library” option to make your new book visible in the right side window in ADE.
- Drag the book from the right side window to the Nook device in the left sidebar.
- Before you pull the Nook USB plug from your computer, first disconnect the Nook using the “Safely Remove Hardware” button in the lower right taskbar in Windows (or turn off your computer).
- On the Nook, EPUB books are stored in a different folder than the books you purchase from Barnes and Noble. The EPUB books are stored under “My Library” in “My Documents,” and the Barnes and Noble books are stored under “My Library” in the “My B&N Library”. This how-to only deals with EPUB books purchased on this website, not Barnes & Noble books you get from the Barnes & Noble web site.
Follow the steps under “Adding your book” above for future books.