Doing Your Own Divorce in Canada PDF  | Print |
Written by The Editors   
Wednesday, 24 June 2009 23:29
Article Index
Doing Your Own Divorce in Canada
What if we don't agree?
Splitting Property
When do I need a lawyer?
What about the paperwork?
What are the steps?
What will it cost?
All Pages
Doing Your Own Divorce in Canada

Many Canadians prepare and file their divorce papers without using a lawyer. If you choose to do your own divorce, remember that divorce law can be complicated and you will need to pay attention to detail and complete the forms correctly. This article originally appeared as a chapter in the book, Divorce Guide for Canada, written for Self-Counsel Press by lawyer Alison Sawyer, BA, LLB.

Doing your own divorce without legal advice or the help of a lawyer is best done under these circumstances:

  • The ground for divorce is that you have been living separate and apart for at least one year. In some provinces and territories, you will not be able to apply for an affidavit divorce if you use any other ground.
  • There are no dependent children.
  • Neither spouse needs financial support from the other.
  • All property (i.e., personal goods, vehicles, money, debts, RRSPs, pensions, and real estate) has been divided and both spouses are happy with the property settlement.
  • You only need to ask the court to make an order for the divorce itself.

If you have children under the age of majority and have yet to make decisions about financial matters, you will still be in a good position to do your own divorce if you and your spouse have —

  • signed a separation agreement, or
  • have a court order dealing with child custody, access, and support and/or division of property, or
  • have come to an agreement about any or all of these matters.

If you are financially self-sufficient, have no children dependant on you, or your spouse has been paying child support and is in agreement with the custody and support arrangements you are asking to be put in the Divorce Order, you can proceed with an affidavit divorce.

You will have to file enough information with the court (ideally in the form of a separation agreement or consent court order) to satisfy the judge that the arrangements are reasonable and appropriate. In some jurisdictions in this situation, you may still have to appear in front of a judge to get your Divorce Order.


Featured Book

do-the-web-write-cover-largeThe hardest part of making a successful website isn’t “making” it—you can hire someone to do the design and coding. The hardest part is writing great content that will attract readers and keep them coming back. Do the Web Write is a complete guide to writing (and running) a successful website. Learn how to determine what pages you should have on your website and how best to write them, and learn about every “must have” page you need and how to prepare it.

Find the book in our Shop where you can preview the table of contents and initial chapters.

Did You Know?

We supply downloadable kits of forms and instructions:

Featured Book 1

comfortable-chaos-large Do you struggle to balance your work and your personal life? Don't believe for a minute that there is some "magic bullet" solution that will let you achieve a perfect balance — there is none. We think that Comfortable Chaos, by Carolyn Harvey and Beth Herrild, is among the best and most practical books ever written on this subject. The real world approach they take is the reason Fortune 500 corporations hire them to help executives deal with the issues of home and work pressure.

Find the book in our Web store and learn more.